Magento is popular open-source ecommerce solution and is accepted by professional developers as well as ecommerce Owners.
Almost Magento Developers and owners said magento is too slow but we should try to improve magento site speed because site speed is not important only for search engine but mainly for users also. Magento is slow because of heavy cms as well as some incomplete configuration and settings.
Below you will find top tips and tricks to speed up your magento store.
1) Magento caching : Magento is giving best caching functionality so we should enable it after complete your developer work. (system -> cache Management)
3) Enable Flat Categories and Products : Each product or category information are stored in multiple tables so at each time large join query is required to collection information in category or products pages.
System->Configuration->Catelog Panel -> Catalogue -> Frontend. You will see 2 options here so make both options to Yes.
5) Expires Headers : By using the expire headers or cache control headers, you can reduce number of http requests and its size which will improve page speed.
6) Clean the Database : Magento site’s database can quickly become overgrown because of unmaintained log tables. So at every 1 or 2 month you should monitor these tables and clean up. You can set clean up facility in magento admin section.
System -> Configuration -> Advanced -> System -> Log Cleaning, Change “Enable Log Cleaning” to YES and configure the timing and then click to save.
7) Optimize Images : Select a proper file format and try to compress these images. So It will reduce bandwidth between browser and web server. Lots of tools are available like imageoptimizer.net, JPEGMini.com etc
9) Use Sprite images : with help of sprite images, you can combine images and so It will help to reduce server requests.
If you need any help, we can do a Technical Magento Audit for your site.